The Forney 308 MIG Welder 180FI is a gas or no gas dual-process welding tool, designed for MIG (GMAW) and flux core (FCAW) welding. It weighs 61.75 pounds with dimensions 20 inches by 10 inches by 16 inches. It is a ready to use out of box welding tool with rectifier, stabilizer and unique built-in control or feeder. Its input power is 230 volt. The duty cycle is enough effective at 25% at 120 amps and with a 7.5 minutes interval time, it gives 2.5 minutes welding time at 120 amps. The output of this device ranges from 35 amps to 180 amps and 30 VDC is its maximum OCV. In a single pass, this welding tool can weld metal sheet from as thin as 24gauge to as thick as 1/4 inch and by applying multiple pass, this welding tool can weld thicker materials at one’s own risk.
The Forney 308 MIG Welder 180FI is not only a ready to use tool, but it also has some distinctive features that makes it a specialized and reliable welding tool.
- Gas or no gas feature, in which the no gas system can be easily converted into GMAW MIG welder.
- Thermal overload protection with automatic feature that will shut down the welding machine if any overloading of power is experienced by the device and also if there is any irregularity in the input power system.
- Internal cooling fan is fitted in the machine so that the tool can bear extreme heat and the unit stays cool even in extreme conditions preventing any damage due to overheating.
- Multiple voltage settings that enables the user to set the required power for welding different metals according to the requirements.
- Infinite wire speed control feature with no limitations and this tool has a single phase transforming feature.
The Forney 308 MIG Welder 180FI can be used for many purposes. It is an ideal welding tool for agriculture, home projects, maintenance and repairing; contractor, auto body shop, metal fabrication and many more.
This welding tool is compatible for welding metals like mild steel, aluminum, stainless steel and iron cast. The MIG welder equipped with gas or the GMAW can weld solid steel, aluminum or bronze wires of diameters 0.024 inch, 0.030 inch or 0.035 inch on reverse polarity DC and self-shielding flux-cored wire can weld 0.030 inch and 0.035 inch on normal polarity DC. However, welding wires with thicker diameter than 0.035 is not recommended because it has no guaranteed result and in some extreme cases, it might also damage the tool. So, for thicker material welding, one can look for the device that is more powerful and capable.
Additional equipment materials
This equipment costs pretty low in comparison to other welding devices. Like other welding tools this equipment also comes complete with some additional materials;
- 308MIG welder with welding torch that is tweco type
- Operating user manual guide
- Set-Up Chart for guidance while using the welding tool
- Spool sample of Flux-Cored Wire
- Extra additional Contact Tips
- Chipping Hammer and Brush Combo
- A Welding Face Shield
- Ground clamp
- Welding torch
Forney 308 MIG Welder 180FI is a very good choice, as in such a low price this welding tool can deliver very good performance which is no less than the performance of other high cost welding tools in the market.