[imgbox asin=”B00TGSK2DC” imgurl=”https://pickwelder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Forney-318-190a.jpg” imgalt=”Forney-318-190a”]
Power and Applications
Forney 318 is one of the best welders in the 230V category. Its output power ranges from 30A to 190A and offers duty cycle of 25% at 120A, quite good for farms, boats, automotive, general fabrication and repair welding.
This welding machine is ready MIG and also capable of flux-cored welding. It can weld steel, aluminum and stainless steel. Forney 318 can penetrate materials up to 3/8 inch thick in single phase, making it a very powerful tool. Be it learner or an expert, it has been designed for both types of users. If you deal with light industrial welding and slightly thick materials then it’s the most suitable tool for you.
Portability and Flexibility
It weighs only around 63 pounds; hence it’s the lightest and the most portable welder in its class. With such light weight, you can effortlessly carry the tool to various welding sites.
This welder operates on input power of 230V. Wherever you can find a power outlet of 230v, you can simply plug-in the welder and start welding. Unfortunately this machine can’t be powered by generators, so its portability is limited, and it can’t be used at remote sites.
Here are some special aspects of Forney 318;
- Upgraded cast aluminum wire drive system that includes dual geared idler and drive roll with better de spooler, offers better wire feeding.
- Larger cabinet for better access to spools and eased use.
- Euro connect torch with tweco style consumables allows faster disconnect and swapping out torch, for easy and quick use.
- Torch with built-in strain relief for extended cable life and longer durability.
Integrated feet for better use and to enhance shock and vibration resistance, to ensure safety of the user.
- Torch wrap included for better cable organization and user convenience.
Let’s have a look at some of the overall advantages of Forney 318;
- Lightweight and very portable.
- Advanced and easy to use at the same time.
- Less expensive than other welders of same category.
- User-convenient design and quick to setup.
- Features are not as advanced as compared to other welders with same capacity.
- Most probably it can’t run on generators, so using the tool at remote welding sites is constricted.
- Duty cycle is lower than other welders in its class, as it offers only 25% duty cycle whereas others offer 30% at even higher amps.
Cost and Warranty
Forney 318 is the most affordable welder when compared to other MIG welders in its class.
Like the other two MIG welders, your investment is safe with this product. It comes with 5/3/1 warranty, in which the system and its parts have certain warranty periods of 5 years, 3 years or 1 year. The tool is returnable within 90 days if you aren’t really satisfied with its function and capacity.
Forney 318 is the ultimate package of affordability, strength and reliability. It is one of the lightest and most powerful welders in its class. However, if you need a welder with more advanced features and can add up some more to your budget, you can go for Hobart Handler 190 or Lincoln EasyMig 180.
If you think Forney 318 is the right welder for you, but still have some doubts regarding its capabilities, feel free to check out the reviews and best price: