Power and Applications
The Hobart Stickmate 205 is a stick welding power source or SMAW welder. The Hobart Stickmate 205 is one of the more popular stick welders on the market and with good reason. This Hobart welder is made in America and it performs impressively at its low price.
Portability and Flexibility
If you’re looking for a basic yet reliable stick welder to do your welding, then the Hobart Stickmate is the way to go. Stick welders are still sought after by people in the welding business, mainly because they’re cheaper than other types of welders such as the GMAW ones. Still, despite their affordability, they get the job done effectively, even on thicker metals.
The Stickmate weighs 89.2 pounds, which might seem quite heavy. However, the welder definitely makes up for its weight with some of its other features. The weight is mainly due to the electronics that we can find in the cabinet that powers this stick welder, which are quite heavy. The cabinet measurements are 17-1/2” in depth, 12-3/4” in width, and 18-3/4” in height. Still, you will most likely ignore the cabinet’s weight and size when you hear about its 220V single phase power and its 30 to 205-Amps output range.
When it comes to special features, the Hobart Stickmate 205 is definitely loaded. Let us now explore some of the most important and relevant ones.
- Easy setup due stinger clamps that you simply connect to the cable ends. Cables are prepared in the factory, so you don’t have to worry about assembling too much before you actually start using the welder. Plug it in and it’s ready to use
- Box also includes a hex wrench to install the stinger cable into the stinger handle
- Long cables that allow you to move around with the welder easily without having to unplug it and then move it to another socket. The electrode cable is 15-foot long, while the work clamp one is 10-foot long
- A standard welder plug is included in the Hobart Stickmate 205 box, and you can find it attached to a 5-foot cord which is quite heavy
- An amperage selection system that is incredibly easy to use without much trouble. System allows you to choose the best possible setting for what you’re working on in that moment. Operate the crank from the front of the welder
- Amperage suggestions that can help people who are less knowledgeable in this field choose the right amperage for different types of material thicknesses, diameters, or rod types (suggestions on a sticker on the cabinet)
- An Accu-Set amperage indicator to monitor the heat output and the amperage
- A forced-draft cooling fan runs continuously and prolongs the life of your Stickmate
- Steel, cast iron, and stainless steel are all materials recommended to use with this device
- Despite being a stick welder and costing less than other types of welders, the Hobart Stickmate 205 is able to weld thick metals as well.
- It’s perfect for people who are not expert welders and who want to use a device that can help them learn how to weld faster and provide them with clear and easy-to-understand instructions.
- The amperage and the arc are extremely stable, so you don’t have to worry about them fluctuating.
- It’s low-maintenance, which is again a feature that many people are looking for in a stick welder. All you have to do to take care of it is apply a high-temperature grease on the sliders of the shunt block once a year.
- It has a high life expectancy, which means that you don’t have to worry about having to replace it often and not getting your money’s worth.
- This model could be considered heavy by some standards. Since it has rather long cables, you found we didn’t have to move it around as much.
- The end of the rods in the stinger might seem a bit shallow to some. We felt that deeper ends would give you a firmer grip. But still, the Stickmate gets the job done just as well with the existing rods.
- The maximum output range (205-Amps) can be rather low compared to other similar devices in the same class. This can be a problem especially if you constantly have to work with thicker materials. Otherwise, this issue shouldn’t concern you that much.
We feel that the Hobart Stickmate 205 is definitely one of the best and most affordable stick welders on the market. Its design and detailed instructions are devised in such a way that even people who are not experts in welding can use this device and learn how to weld faster. More professional welders will definitely enjoy the subtle capabilities of the Stickmate, which can prove to be one of the most reliable welding tools they’ve ever bought.