Welding is the process by which two different materials are joined together. Mostly the materials used are metals and excessively high temperature is used for the sake of welding the metals. Owing to the use of high temperature and production of immense quantity of heat, it is important to be sure that you use the right set of safety rules.
Here, we are going to talk of some of the key safety rules which you must implement to ensure that you can stay safe even while welding.
When you are welding, your body is constantly in the vicinity of heat and flames. This is why it becomes extremely important to ensure that you wear the right protection gear. Following are the key protection gear you need to use.
- Always wear a face shield to save your face from coming in direct touch with the high intensity flames. The face shield should come in handy in protecting your eyes as well, but if the flame is intense, we would recommend wearing a sunglass along with it.
- Make sure to wear shoes that are closed from front. This prevents sparks from burning your toe nails. At the same time, the shoes need to be comfortable enough to help you make a good run, in case a fire hazard occurs.
- Make sure that your shirt is non inflammable. If you are unsure of the details, you can find plenty of guides regarding how to pick clothes best suited for welding. The clothes you wear have to be suitable for the work you do.
- It is best advised to wear full sleeved shirts. The sleeves should neither be too tight nor too loose. Extremely tight fitting clothes make it hard to concentrate on the welding work. At the same time, too loose clothes may catch fire easily. So, wear clothes that are your ideal size.
- Always ensure that you put the welding gloves on. The gloves are very important because your hands are closest to the flames when you are welding. Lack of gloves will put your hands in acute danger of facing burns.
- Ear plugs or any kind of ear protection is an absolute must. If your eardrum gets punctured because of a spark, the chances of healing are very minimal. This is why it is important to opt for ear protection.
When you are carrying out the welding process, you have to be a keen observer. You need to take due care of your surroundings. There is absolutely no way as to how you can allow any inflammable substance to stay nearby. Make sure that all inflammable liquids and even flammable products have been kept away at a locked away place or somewhere safe, far away from the welding site.
When you are engaged in welding, there ought to be a lot of fumes. Many a times, it becomes very hard to breathe normally because the fumes can make you claustrophobic. So, the best thing that you can do is ensure that you have an exhaust at the welding site. Drive away the fumes almost instantly. Make it a point to breathe fresh air and this is why having an exhaust will be of help. If you still feel shortness of breath or you begin to asphyxiate or sense the feeling of claustrophobia, take a break and move outside the premises. Go into an open area and take some fresh breaths and return back later.
Never Look Into The Flame
Some of us make a common mistake of directly glancing at the flames when welding. Remember, you must avoid this at all cost. We would never recommend you to look into the flame, even when you are just trying to be a perfectionist. The reason is that you may suffer from arc flash and the severity of this condition can vary considerably. If you keep your gaze fixated on the flame for too long, it can wreck havoc on your eyesight.
This is why we would recommend putting on sunglasses. Obviously, the welding helmet works fine too.
Welding isn’t a job which you can carry in a confined location. If you want to work safely, you need to be sure that your workstation gives you ample space to carry out your designated duties. This is why you need to ensure that you are keeping ample space near your welding workstation.
When you carry out welding, you should remove other stuff and concentrate merely on the task at hand. Having a great deal of open space is one of the preliminary ways of avoiding welding accidents.
Check Your Tools
Another possible way of facing a work hazard is when your tools are not functional. You definitely do not want such a situation and hence you should ensure that you keep checking your tools in a timely manner. If you find that your welding tools are no longer functioning as they should, make sure to replace them immediately. Never carry out welding process with inefficient tools as they can do a lot of harm.
Have First Aid Ready
Despite taking all these precautions, it may so happen that you may end up facing some work hazards or even burns. This is why you should always have first aid kit ready. Make sure to have a first aid kit close by such that you can reach out and use it, in case of emergency needs.
These are the main safety tips which you must adhere to when you are welding. Of course, you should also try and keep on improving your welding tools and knowledge because outdated knowledge and poor tools are the main cause of most welding accidents.
If you manage to keep these points in mind and if you can implement all of these tips, the chances of suffering from welding accidents will be very minimal. It is better to be safe than sorry and so make sure that you are always cautious about how safe you are.